by Active Database Software - Product Type: Component / ASP.NET WebForms / .NET WinForms / .NET Class / 100% Managed Code
What's new in the Active Query Builder .NET Edition version 2.7?
- Search in the Database Schema Tree and Add Object Window has been added.
- QueryTransformer: The new ExportToXML() and ImportFromXML() methods are added to allow serialization of transformations to XML.
- The new MetadataLoadingOptions.DisableAutomaticMetadataLoading property allows you to disable automatic metadata loading on query parsing.
- Virtual objects and fields are present in the Query Statistics among with real objects expanded from virtual objects.
- Alternate names are added to the query structure XML (QueryBuilder.Query.StructureXML).
- The new PaintDesignPaneToBitmap() method is added for exporting the design pane content to an image.
What's new in Active Query Builder .NET Edition v2.1:
- The overview window is added to the right bottom corner of the Design Pane to navigate over large query diagrams.
- Ability to work without the Design pane, allows for easier query building process for relatively small databases in which the relations between database objects are clear
- Right-to-left layout and reading direction are implemented.
What's new in Active Query Builder .NET v1.15
- The Select checkbox is checked automatically now on adding a new expression.
- Grouping is set automatically now on specifying the aggregate for a column now.
- The numbers entered into condition for string fields are treated as literals.
- The "=TRUE" condition is set automatically on adding a logical expression now. Useful on adding the EXISTS expressions.
- Automatic alias assignment is made when user adds two or more columns with same name to the query. The warning message is shown when muptiple columns with same name appear in sub-queries in result of user actions as this may lead to inconsistence in the calling sub-query.
- The new UserMessage event is added. It is fired when the Query Builder is about to show the warning message to the user. You may override this behavior by handling this event.
SQL Syntax changes
- SQLite: The component can load foreign keys now.
- SQLite: The list of aggregates and built-in functions is filled now.
- MS SQL Server: Fetching metadata object descriptions from database is made.
- MySQL Query Properties form is redesigned.
- MySQL: The SELECT [DISTICT|ALL] options are added to the query properties dialog.
WinForms .NET Edition specific changes:
- Arabic (Saudi Arabia), Swedish and Turkish translations are added; Spanish and Polish translations are updated
- Algorithm of automatic objects placement on the diagram pane is improved
- Memory consumption and performance optimizations are made, memory leaks are eliminated
What's New in Active Query Builder for .NET v18.104.22.1681
- Fixed parsing of derived tables without alias.
- Fixed parsing of joins with parentheses.
What's New in Active Query Builder for .NET v22.214.171.1249
- Arabic (Saudi Arabia) [ar-sa] translation is added.
- Swedish [sv] translation is added.
- Bug with nested NOT expressions is fixed.
What's New in Active Query Builder for .NET v126.96.36.1998
- Recursive CTE processing is improved.
What's New in Active Query Builder for .NET v188.8.131.527
- MySQL: CONVERT function is fixed.
- PlainTextSQLBuilder formatting properties are correctly expanded now (in designer).
What's New in Active Query Builder for .NET v184.108.40.2066
- SqlTextEditor: Fixed exception when the suggestion window is visible on the control disposing.
- MetadataEditor: Fixed exception when creating foreign keys with drag and drop.
- Missing strings for "Collapse" and "Expand" commands are added into en.xml translation template file.
- Source code examples are updated for compatibility with Visual Studio 2008 and 2010.
What's New in Active Query Builder for .NET v220.127.116.11
- ToolboxManager slighlty improved (will hasten installation a bit).
- de, es, fr, it, pt-br translations updated.
- DevExpress dependencies of ActiveDatabaseSoftware.DevExpressControlFactory.dll are updated to v10.2.3.0.
- SqlTextEditor and ExpressionEditor: syntax coloring properties goes public.
- Server version auto-detection is implemented.
- Renaming of common table expressions (CTE) is implemented.
- MetadataEditor: adding and editing of virtual objects and fields are implemented.
- Images on tabs are impemented. To hide images use ShowTabIcons property.
- To set custom images use TabsImageList property (must contain 4 images: main query, sub-query, derived table, common table expression (CTE)).
- Oracle: loading of materialized views is fixed.
- SqlTextEditor: fixed AVG function highlightning for MS Access syntax.
- Firebird: DateAdd, DateDiff, Overlay, Position builtin functions are fixed.
- MS Access: probelm with '$' char in builtin function names is fixed.
- Automatic alias generation is fixed.
Active Query Builder ASP.NET Web Edition v0.4.2
- Buttons to open properties dialogs are added to the corner of Design Pane and to the header of each query data source.
- Wait cursor is shown on trying to create a link with unavailable data source.
- Operability of behavior properties of the QueryBuilder object is fixed: AllowSleepMode, CreateColumnAliasesFromAltNames, ParsingErrorOnUnknownObjects
- New property is added to deny end-user modification of join links: QueryBuilder.AllowLinkManipulations.
- CSS file is added to apply RigthToLeft direction of the control.
- Minor visual improvements in the Query Columns Pane are made.
- Trial version protection: Generation of random aliases for result query columns is made.
Active Query Builder ASP.NET Web Edition v0.4.1
- Ability to change direction for the control is implemented. (QueryBuilderControl.Direction = ContentDirection.RigthToLeft)
- Small make-up for the first column in the Query Columns List is made.
- The bug with adding a link to a newly added is fixed. The user have to wait now for the object to be updated at the server side to create a link.
- Few minor visual fixes are made.
Active Query Builder ASP.NET Web Edition v0.4
- Events to perform specific actions in response to user actions are added.
- Query Properties dialogs are added for all supported syntaxes. They allow user to change such properties as TOP, LIMIT, DISTINCT and many other.
- Several demo projects are added to illustrate various aspects of the component's functionality: Virtual Objects And Fields, Alternate Names, Interacting with ASP.NET controls, Hiding the Diagram Pane.
- The SqlEditor.SQL property now retrieves actual SQL query text with changes made by the user in the text editor.
Active Query Builder ASP.NET Web Edition v0.3.1
- Ability to localize the component is made. Today the component is translated to all major European languages. The component determines language on the client PC and loads it automatically if found.
- Ability to define language at design time is made. You may specify desired language code using the QueryBuilderControl.Language property.
- Ability to use custom localizations is made. Set the QueryBuilderControl. UseCustomLanguageFiles property to True to instruct the component to search for language files in the "Language Files" folder at the root of your web site instead of embedded language resources.
Active Query Builder ASP.NET Web Edition v0.3.0
- The new column is added to the Criteria Pane grid for moving and deleting rows.
- The context menu is added to the Criteria Pane for moving and deleting rows.
- The new autosync algorithm is implemented to avoid web page refreshing on changing/restarting of the server side.
- Criteria pane is stretched to 100% width now.
- Objects at design pane can be minimized now.
- Ability to define min/max size of objects is made.
- Object's aliases are quoted now if need.
- Overall performance imrovements are made.
- Several minor fixes for Internet Explorer are made.
- Fixed bug with simultaneous use of the AddLinkedObjects and DeleteUnusedObjects properties.
Active Query Builder ASP.NET Web Edition v0.2.2
- Overall performance improvements in Internet Explorer
- Expression and Sorting drop-down controls are improved
- Fixed changing of the grid columns width on selecting a column for some browsers
- Small CSS fixes for Internet Explorer 7
Active Query Builder .NET Professional Subscription.
The .NET Professional Subscription is a convenient way to guarantee access to the most recent versions of Active Query Builder for .NET components family. You get one-year access to all components produced by Active Database Software for the .NET Framework and receive unlimited Priority Support during the subscription period.
Unlike the Standard Subscriptions that provide access to specific versions of Active Query Builder, the .NET Professional Subscription lets you to receive all future versions of Active Query Builder and other components for the .NET Framework. For example, Active Database Software are planning to release a WPF version of Active Query Builder in a year (2011).
Currently Active Query Builder .NET Professional Subscription includes:
- Active Query Builder WinForms .NET Edition
- Active Query Builder ASP.NET Edition
- Advanced SQL Text Editor for WinForms .NET Edition
- Advanced Expression Editor for WinForms .NET Edition
- DevExpress controls User Interface for WinForms .NET Edition
- Optional: Full Source Code
What's New in Active Query Builder for .NET v1.13
- Added - Oracle: global pipelined functions can be used in FROM clause.
- Added - Professional edition of the component suite is introduced.
- Added - New ExpressionEditor component available in the Professional edition only.
- Added - New improved Metadata Editor (in all editions).
- Improved - DevExpress dependencies of ActiveDatabaseSoftware.DevExpressControlFactory.dll are updated to v10.1.4.0.
- Improved - OracleNativeMetadataProvider: Oracle.DataAccess.dll references updated to the latest version (v18.104.22.168).
- Fixed - Expression Editor: exception when trying to insert a function using the context menu is fixed.
- Fized - Expression Editor: items in the function list were duplicating sometimes.
What's new in the Active Query Builder .NET Edition version 1.12?
- General improvements:
- New feature: Virtual database objects and fields. It allows to hide complex expressions and sub-queries behind ordinary fields and save derived tables as ordinary database objects. See the Virtual Objects And Fields source code sample for demonstration and details.
- Metadata and syntax providers for Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition are made.
- Re-arranging of criteria list items by drag and drop is implemented. You can drag items using row headers only. To set up the row headers width use the CriteriaListOptions.RowHeaderWidth property.
- WPF Demo project is added. Active Query Builder is used there in a WPF window through the WindowsFormsHost.
- API improvements:
- DiagramObjectDeleting event is added. It notifies you that a user are trying to delete an object from the diagram pane and allows to prevent the deletion.
- New FieldListDescriptionColumnOptions.UseLongDescription property is added to control which description will be shown in the Description column of field lists: if false (default), the MetadataField.ShortDescription is displayed; if true, the MetadataField.LongDescription is displayed.
- New property LoadJoinsFromWhereClause is added. Using this property you can instruct the Query Builder to not treat WHERE conditions like "tbl1.FieldName = tbl2.FieldName" as joins. They will be loaded in the Columns pane instead.
- The new method GetSchemaNames is added to syntax providers to retrieve the list of database schemas.
- The new properties are added to the QueryBase class to set up unifying operator programmatically: UnionOperator, UnionAllFlag, UnionOperatorFull.
- SQL Syntax fixes and improvements:
- Sybase and MS SQL Server (only if ServerVersion < MSSQL2005): Support for old-style TransactSQL outer joins: "*=" and "=*" operators is made.
- MS Access: Bug with unsupported FULL OUTER JOIN is fixed.
What's new in the Active Query Builder .NET Edition version 1.11?
- Support VistaDB 4.0 is implemented
- Portuguese (Brazil) translation is added
- SQLite: The query properties form is implemented, Ability to fetch metadata from "attached" databases is added
- Oracle: Retrieval of descriptions for objects and fields from the database is implemented
- The LIKE criteria parsing is improved. Manually entered criteria like "LIKE John Doe" will be distinguished as "LIKE 'John Doe'"
- Basic support for custom aggregate functions is implemented
- MS SQL Server: Custom aggregate functions retrieval is made
- MS SQL Server: Parsing of DatePart, DateName, DateDiff, DateAdd functions is fixed
- MS SQL Server: Fixed parsing of fields with names matching datatype names, like "DateTime"
- Oracle: Parsing of the SEED keyword is fixed
- Oracle: Parsing of "CONNECT BY" and "START WITH" clauses sequence is fixed
- Oracle and PostgreSQL: interval literals support is added
- Firebird: List of reserved words is imported into the grammar
- The INNER keyword can be omitted now in join specifications for Firebird and MS SQL Server via the InnerKeywordInLinks property
- SQL dialects without databases support (like Oracle) didn't skip default schema from object names. Fixed now
- Unambiguous reading metadata from XML generated by other AQB Editions (VCL/ActiveX, Java) is made
- CROSS JOIN processing bug is fixed
- New properties in the QueryBuilder and PlainTextSQLBuilder components: AsKeywordInExpressionAlias and AsKeywordInObjectAlias. You can use them to force the query builder to always show or omit AS keyword before aliases
- The new events DatasourceFieldRemoving, DatasourceFieldRemoved are added to control removal of fields by unchecking them from the datasource field list
- The new properties are made to control case sensitivity of metadata filter items: MetadataFilterItem.SchemaMaskCaseSensitive and MetadataFilterItem.ObjectMaskCaseSensitive
- The new property is added to create aliases automatically based on alternate names: SelectListOptions.CreateColumnAliasesFromAltNames
- API changes: MetadataFieldNameList class is renamed to MetadataQualifiedNameList
What's new in V1.9.x
- New - Now the user can edit Join expression manually via the Link Properties dialog
- New - PostgreSQL: Support of INTO clause is added
- New - Links context menu is improved
- Improved - UniversalMetadataProvider does not throw needless exceptions anymore
- Improved - MS Access: query parameters parsing is improved
What's new in V1.8.5
- The new look of Expression column dropdown list is made.
- Set of properties is added to take control over the links creation process.
- Set of events is added to control over the query building process.
- Permanent generation of correct SQL queries with grouping is made.
- Numeric condition values for string fields are quoted automatically now.
- New context menu items are added to check/uncheck all fields for a datasource.
- Other SQL syntax, usability and API improvements.
What's new in V1.7.5
- The new look of the Expression column drop-down list is made
- The new demo for Delphi Prism is added
- German translation is added
What's new in V1.7
- IMPORTANT: The mistakenly named property "CriteriListOptions" has been renamed to "CriteriaListOptions"
- Customization of datasource's field lists at the query building area has been made
- The FieldListOptions property allows you to customize drawing of the datasource's field lists. You may show/hide/customize the following columns:
- Status picture: is used now to mark Primary key fields only (FieldListOptions.MarkColumnOptions).
- Field Name (FieldListOptions.NameColumnOptions)
- Field Type (FieldListOptions.TypeColumnOptions)
- Field Description: (FieldListOptions.DescriptionColumnOptions)
- Field lists are retrieved now through the database server specific queries. This allows you to display field types for specific database servers correctly, also this may speed up retrieval of the field lists.
- Building queries with grouping is much simpler now with the new behavior of the expressions grid control. The "Output" and "Grouping" check boxes are switched automatically in order to get correct SQL query all the time
- All distributable assemblies have been signed with digital signature
- MySQL and Firebird parameters parsing is improved
- Other minor improvements and bug fixes are made.
What's new in V1.6
- Sleep mode is implemented - This mode allows you to suppress error messages while printing unsupported statements in SQL text editor, connected with Active Query Builder. Active Query Builder now switches to Sleep mode when non-SELECT statement is passed to the SQL property. This allows your end-users to write any other statements, such as INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, CREATE ..., ALTER ..., etc., without any additional processing
- New properties are added to parenthesize conditions in WHERE clause
- The new full-featured MDI Demo application with source code is added to the Trial and Standard versions
- Tne new demo project is added to illustrate ability to modify queries programmatically (QueryModificationDemo)
- The new source code sample is added to demonstrate non-standard ways of metadata loading (LoadMetadataDemo)
- The new HideSingleDatabaseNode property is added to the QueryBuilder.MetadataTreeOptions to hide unnecessary database node if all objects are loaded from single database
- Query properties dialog for PostgreSQL syntax is implemented
What's New in V1.5
- Ability to define alternate names for database objects and their fields is implemented
- Non-visual mode is added
- New UniversalSyntaxProvider is added to the Free version - It is based on the ANSI SQL/92 syntax but allows to determine most of popular database servers, thus it successfully retrieves metadata and applies specific settings for them, to let the user build simple queries for these servers
- New UniversalMetadataProvider is added - This metadata provider may operate with any valid Connection object, no matter what ADO.NET data provider you use
- Firebird syntax: common table expressions are supported now
- Memory and speed optimizations are made
- Polish translation is added
What's New in V1.3.5
- MySQL, PostgreSQL, Firebird, Sybase, IBM DB2 and Informix SQL dialects are supported now
- Now it is possible to detect SQL syntax of the database server automatically using the AutoSyntaxProvider
- Ability to perform basic conversion of SQL queries between dialects is implemented
- Ability to retrieve metadata from VistaDB and Advantage Database Server is added
- Improved usability of building GROUP BY/HAVING clauses with the new criteria list grouping style
- Significantly increased speed of working
- Ability to localize the component is implemented
- Ability to customize or hide context menus using the ValidateContextMenu event is added
Common product information about Active Query Builder
- Completely visual building of complex SQL queries.
- MS-Access style and SQL Server style interface.
- User-friendly interface with drag & drop support.
- Powerful means of working with parameters.
- Working in offline mode, storing metadata in XML files.
- Delicate handling of user queries.
- Sophisticated SQL parser.
- SQL Server, Access, Oracle, MySQL and ANSI SQL/92 dialects support.
- VistaDB desktop database support.
- SQL Formatter.
Integration with C#, VB.NET and other VS2005 built applications is achieved by setting a few properties or adding a few lines of code.
The component may be integrated into your .NET 2.0 application with just a few lines of code. Unlike many other .NET query building solutions, Active Query Builder for .NET does not force the programmer to use the embedded data grid, SQL editor or anything else. Instead, it allows you to integrate any accompanying tools into your application as quickly and easily as possible.
Full access to internal query representation objects.
Active Query Builder gives you full control over the SQL query - you can easily navigate it using the internal query builder objects tree that represents all parts of the SQL query. Also you can edit existing queries or create new SQL queries using these objects in run-time.
ADO.NET and generic event driven driver.
We are planning to create metadata providers for all popular database connectivity components but, of course, we cannot cover them all. Thus we created the generic event-driven metadata provider. You can use it to provide metadata information from any data source. It's quite simple and has just a few events to implement. Using the generic event-driven metadata provider you can work disconnected providing all necessary metadata information by yourself. (Generic event-driven metadata provider will be available on release)
.NET 2.0 Windows Forms Visual Query Builder
Active Query Builder .NET WinForms Edition is a visual query builder component suite that allows your end-users to build SQL queries via an intuitive visual interface. It's powerful API allows to parse complex SQL queries for programmatic analysis and modification.
Active Query Builder .NET Edition supports Visual Studio .NET 2005 and 2008, Windows.Forms environment. The component was successfully tested with .NET Frameworks 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5. Active Query Builder is tested with Delphi Prism for .NET; sample project is available.
NEW - Active Query Builder ASP.NET
Active Query Builder ASP.NET Edition is designed for ASP.NET 2.0 environment, it provides native and easy way to embed visual query building functionality into your ASP.NET projects. Active Query Builder ASP.NET Edition is based on Active Query Builder .NET (Windows Forms) Edition. Utilizing the same powerful SQL parsing engine, it's end-user web interface has much in common with the ancestor.
With Active Query Builder ASP.NET Edition you can parse, analyze and get access to internal query representation objects at the server side. At the client side, it provides powerful and easy-to-use interface with ability to combine visual query building process with direct SQL text editing to build complex SQL queries for the most of popular SQL dialects.
The client side of Active Query Builder ASP.NET Edition is written in pure HTML+CSS to separate web page layout from the content for a quicker, efficient, and easier redesign. Built with standard jQuery framework, Active Query Builder ASP.NET Edition heavily utilizes AJAX technology to provide rich interactivity through the advent of asynchronous HTTP requests that do not require page refreshes to return responses from a server-side. Active Query Builder ASP.NET Edition takes extremely low amount of web traffic and achieves high throughput performance by minimizing all network packets (using light-weight libraries, code packing, on-the-fly compression and JSON data formatting).
Active Query Builder ASP.NET Edition supports Visual Studio .NET 2005-2010, ASP.NET 2.0+ environment. The component was successfully tested with .NET Frameworks 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5. It's compatible with all modern browsers including Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher, FireFox 2.0+, Safari 3.0+, Opera 9.0+, Chrome.
List of features of Active Query Builder .NET Edition.
Completely visual building of complex SQL queries
- Visual building of sub-queries
- Visual building of unions
- Columns pane allowing to define grouping, sorting, and constructing criteria
- Tree pane to browse and navigate query tree
- Database objects tree pane to add objects to query
- Forecast: Visual criteria constructing tool for Where and Having clauses - Not available in free edition
Powerful programming interface
- Configuring the layout of generated SQL code
- Retrieving the list of parameters found in the query - Not available in free edition
- Retrieving extended information about parameters: datatype, related object, field and operator - Not available in free edition
- Ability to work with metadata - Not available in free edition
- Ability to build queries with objects from different databases - Not available in free edition
- Pre-filtering of database objects to speed up metadata loading - Not available in free edition
- Saving and loading all metadata information to XML format - Not available in free edition
- Ability to work in offline mode - Not available in free edition
- Full access to internal query representation objects - Not available in free edition
Support for various SQL Dialects
- ANSI SQL/92
- Microsoft SQL Server - Not available in free edition
- Oracle - Not available in free edition
- Microsoft Access - Not available in free edition
- MySQL - Not available in free edition
- Direct connect to VistaDB 3 - Not available in free edition
Several visual representation models
- MS Access style
- SQL Server Enterprise Manager style
- SQL Formatter: Plain text output filter to customize SQL code the way you like it
Full set of database connectivity options
- OLE DB Metadata provider
- MS SQL Server Metadata provider - Not available in free edition
- Oracle Metadata provider (MS & Native) - Not available in free edition
- MySQL Metadata provider - Not available in free edition
- ODBC Metadata provider
- Vista DB Metadata provider - Not available in free edition
- Generic event-driven metadata provider