What's new in ClearDB Documenter 3?
- Compare two sets of documentation or documentation with a database - Produce a detailed comparison report included as part of the result documentation. The comparison report highlights differences between the Source and the Target; lists the objects that exist in the Source but are missing in the Target and vice versa; lists objects that have major or any differences in their definitions and properties; lists objects that are identical in the Source or the Target. Additionally, it also includes differences in database instant options and initial parameters in object differences.
- Automate documentation generation by using integrated scheduled jobs - Create jobs for complex, time consuming and long lasting documentation generation and schedule their execution in ClearDB Documenter during non-working hours. Alternatively, it's possible to save a job as a batch file and schedule it in a third party scheduler or execute it manually via the Windows Command Line. Each documentation generation job is widely customizable in terms of generation, documentation and Code Analyzer options.
- Actualize the content of documentation by synchronizing it with the database - A few steps to ensure that its content is always up-to-date and synchronized with the database. Update properties, DDL source, references, dependences, etc. of database objects included in the selected documentation and produce a new updated version of the selected documentation.
- Extract database DDL from documentation - Includes the ability to select object types to be extracted and to specify a number of output settings. In case of a database crash, ClearDB Documenter gives you a chance to recover the database by using the database DDL extracted from the documentation. Object DDL for each object is included in the documentation by default. DDL inclusion can easily be enabled or disabled at the documentation or object type level.
- Generate new documentation based on the content of source documentation - After selecting the source documentation, all of its database objects, documentation and Code Analyzer options will be loaded to the GUI. You can easily change the database object selection as well as documentation, generation and Code Analyzer options in the appropriate steps. This feature dramatically speeds up the documentation setup and definition process.
- Convert documentation to another format (HTML/CHM) offline - If the selected documentation was generated in HTML format, you can easily convert it to CHM format and vice versa.
- Extract a subset from documentation offline (no database connection needed) - Includes the ability to remove database objects and to change documentation, Code Analyzer and generation options.
- New GUI and wizard layout with its handy Feature Navigator - A new, easy to use, graphical user interface (GUI) for simplifying drilling down the features and accelerating navigation in step based wizard pages. A new tree-like Feature Navigator exposes the main features and their steps, highlights the active feature and its completed and not completed steps, showing them with specific icons. For ease of use, access to the main features is also available via nice, visible large buttons in the Main page.
Other significant enhancements and improvements:
- Support for a complete set of 54 database object types up to Oracle DB 11gR2
- New option to break the generation process on any error
- The state of documentation generation, documentation comparison, extraction of database DDL and a subset of documentation, etc. displayed in the progress window is also shown in the Windows 7 Taskbar
- Improved content of DB Link and External Table types objects properties
- DB Link type objects include synonyms to dependences
- Highlights Java Source code using Java code syntax highlighter
- A call tree invoked from the CRUD matrix shows all analyzed objects which use the selected dataset object
- Added support of the following database object types: RULE, RULE SET, EVALUATION CONTEXT, GROUP
- New option to include objects DDL in documentation at global non-object type and individual object type levels
- Documentation Manager displays a ClearDB Documenter version number used for documentation generation
- New option that controls inclusion of documentation options in a log
- The Database Object Tree saves database object selection to file for later re-use
- A number of generation, documentation content and GUI bugs fixed
ClearDB helps to keep PL/SQL code reliable, testable and manageable. Industry accepted complexity measures (McCabe, Halstead and Maintainability Index, MI) are used. The code review module catches over 60 common coding mistakes and gives suggestions for good programming practices. Our PL/SQL Parser supports up to 99% of SQL and PL/SQL documented keywords and reserved words. ClearDB Documenter provides PL/SQL code formatting, analyzing and visualizing (Flowcharts and Call Tree diagrams and CRUD1 and CRUD2 type matrices) while at the same time creates database documentation. The primary output format of the database documentation is HTML. In addition to HTML, ClearDB Documenter produces documentation in CHM (Microsoft's Compiled HTML Help format as well.
Who are typical users of ClearDB Documenter?
Oracle DBAs, Oracle Developers, Oracle Consultants or Project Managers who need a professional and complete set of documentation of their Oracle database. Documentation includes database structure, schemas and objects as well as their statuses and dependencies.
What’s included in ClearDB Documenter?
In addition to the usual content about databases contained in documentation, such as database structure-schema-object descriptions, ClearDB Documenter is a unique Oracle Database Documenter that also includes:
- PL/SQL code Flowcharts (clickable, synchronized with the code)
- PL/SQL code Call Tree diagrams (clickable, synchronized with the code)
- PL/SQL code CRUD1 and CRUD2 type matrices (clickable, synchronized with the code)
- Complex reports of its parser observations; e.g. invalid objects, syntax errors, PL/SQL code review warnings, and more.
This parser observation report is hierarchically structured (database, schema and object type level). Database documentation generated by ClearDB Documenter offers a very easy way to quickly navigate through it. Related information is linked together and found with a single click. No need to browse through all pages. Users can jump directly from/to a referenced table, from error information to the specific object description/details, and much more. ClearDB Documenter is using ClearSQL's engine to provide a unique way of creating and maintaining Oracle database documentation on a professional level.
Compare Documentation Kit:
The Compare Documentation Kit enables users to compare documentation against other documentation or against a database and vice versa and to produce a detailed comparison report included as part of the resulting documentation.
Command Line Kit:
The Command Line Kit enables users to automate documentation generation via integrated scheduled jobs or via command (batch) files scheduled in third party schedulers. Create jobs for complex, time consuming and long lasting documentation generation and schedule their execution in ClearDB Documenter during non-working hours. Alternatively, it's possible to save a job as a batch file and schedule it in a third party scheduler or execute it manually via the Windows Command Line. Each documentation generation job is widely customizable in terms of generation, documentation and Code Analyzer options.