por Contour Components - Tipo de produto: Componente / OCX ActiveX
Média das análises: baseado em 5 comentários.
Okay - another week and a half and I have enough scruples to update my previous review - however as the website doesn't allow this I shall post my update here. My star rating is the highest I could give in order to offset the particularly low score of my last posting, for an honest appraisal I would certainly give it 4 out of 5. So what's changed....
1. There is more programatic control than I first suspected in particular my initial point is in fact present and actually easily done.
2. Support have now responded, and repeatedly responded to any questions I thrown at them (thanks George).
3. Micro cubes can be saved from the product but the extra product is required to automatically generate them from scripts - that said you can schedule your own program to run, create the cube and save it.
4. And this is the reason I say 4 out of 5... If the documentation had been up to the standard of other publishers then it would be difficult to subtract that whole star. I have been forwarded extracts of information that document features so the material obviously exists but hasn't made it into the released product yet - soon I hope! I have also reported a bug that means if you change the SQL feeding a cube the metadata doesn't appear to be reset so you get errors refering to missing fields and the like - the current workaround is to delete the cube from the form and start again. Whilst this is not very satisfactory they are aware of it and on the strength of an assurance that they are addressing this issue in a bug fix (free minor release for registered users of version 2) I have decided to swallow my pride, open the cheque book and proceed with ContourCube.
For us it means we can dispense with exporting data to Excel for our clients (though I'm sure some will wish to retain that facility), concentrate our (more time consuming) Crystal Reports efforts on standard report output and provides a lot of functionality in our standard packages for very little effort on our part. It is also very useful when it comes to product demonstrations to prospective clients and allows us to demonstrate accessibility to the answers to many of the questions they field without the typical software house response of "...we can do that..." with the implication of costly bespoke enhancements.
FirmVisual Ltd (UK)
I've started reviewing this product for adoption by my company, it is very strong at providing good funtionality to the user at run time however I do hesitate to recommend it to anyone because of the following issues:
1. There is not adequate control of the tool from a programmers point of view - for example being that all dimensions of the cube on display default to being displayed in their expanded view generally these sorts of tools are used by people by looking at the overview picture and drilling down to the details they are interested in.
2. Their support haven't responded to questions that I've submitted through their web page.
3. The MicroCubes that their samples work from can only (apparently) be produced by using a second product that costs more that the development tool so any cost effectiveness quickly goes out the window.
4. Their documentation appears to be largely automatically generated which does not make for useful reading when either trying to get to grips with the product and its capabilities or attempting to find quick help to specific task related problems. The so called tutorial is not laid out in a tutorial fashion with step by step instructions, the examples use MicroCubes which you are not able to create yourself and there is no task based help to lessen the learning curve. And finally the help pages themselves do not (as is standard practice these days) have links for examples.
Overall it's a shame not to be able to give it higher marks because on first glance it appears to be the answer to a lot of problems. However it looks like they are counting (for cost, features and online help) on the fact that there isn't a lot of competition in this area at the moment to be able to ship this product. I guess we'll be sticking with clever techniques together with Infragistics Ultragrid for a little longer - perhaps we'll revisit this product in a couple of years (if it is still around).
FirmVisual Ltd (UK)
The nicest product in this category with excellent support!
This is a very good and impressive product. It provides the flexibility that suite my needs. I like it very much and would like the see development of this product in the future. Great!
Looks Intresting - Have just gone through the eval. What I would like to see is the cube taking parameters.