What’s new in Total Visual CodeTools 2010?
- Supports Microsoft Office 2010, 32 bit Version - Total Visual CodeTools 2010 supports the 32 bit version of Microsoft Office 2010. It also supports Office 2000 through 2007, Visual Basic 6, and Windows 7 and earlier operating systems.
- VBA Code Parsing Supports Access/Office 2010 - The VBA code parser that underlies the Code Cleanup, Code Delivery, and Unused Variable Analysis supports the new code and syntax in Office 2010 including the use of conditional compilers (e.g. #IF.. #ELSE.. #ENDIF) that is common for developers supporting both 32 and 64 bit environments. For situations where the same variable is defined more than once based on the conditional compiler directives, the first definition is used (for Code Cleanup and Delivery).
- Code Cleanup and Code Delivery Allow Immediate Overwrite - After Total Visual CodeTools performs the analysis to cleanup or deliver your code, it prompts you to review the results before applying the changes. There is a new feature to let you bypass this step if no serious errors were encountered. This eliminates this step so the entire process is completed without intervention. It is especially useful if you’ve successfully performed this task on a project before.
- Code Cleanup Error Enabler and Handler Tags are Customizable - Total Visual CodeTools offers a feature to let you specify comment tags before and after each procedure’s error enabler and error handler so you can easily replace them if you decide to change your error management code.
- Copy Control Builder Supports Multiple Target Controls - You can now select multiple target controls and automatically generate the code you want to copy to all of them at one time.
- Long Text/SQL Builder Converts Tabs and Spaces - The Long Text/SQL Builder lets you retrieve the SQL string from the query of a database you specify. It also offers new options to simplify the conversion of SQL queries and text blocks to VB6/VBA code. Tabs can be automatically replaced by spaces, and extra spaces can be eliminated.
- Message Box Builder - The Message Box Builder has a new user interface that supports Windows 7. The system modal option is removed because a message box is always modal, and options for right justification and right-to-left read are added.
- Select Case Builder Supports Text Blocks and Numeric Ranges - The Select Case Builder now makes it easy to specify multiple case and variable assignment values. Simply paste a block of text with the values you want and the code is generated. You can also generate a numerical range of case values by specifying the start, end, and step values.
- Total Visual CodeTools Menu Location Options - By default, the Total Visual CodeTools menu appears on the main menu bar. Under Standards, you can change this so it resides under the Add-Ins or Tools menu instead.
- Tools Available During Debugging - Certain tools such as Clear Immediate Window and help are available when you are debugging your code. Previously, all the tools were disabled.
- Default Send To is Remembered - The setting for the default Send To option is no longer under Standards. Total Visual CodeTools automatically saves the last option you select for the next time you open a builder.
- Screens are Resizable - The forms for the builders and standards screen are now resizable to maximize their display on your screens.
- Redesigned Storage of Standards - Rather than a text file, the standards are now stored in an Access database. This eliminates some of the challenges supporting international languages and double byte characters. If you install Total Visual CodeTools 2010 on a machine which had Total Visual CodeTools 2007, the previous settings are automatically imported. Otherwise, use the [Import Legacy CTS File] button from the Standards options under Manage Settings.
Total Visual CodeTools 2007: New Features
- Supports Microsoft Access/Office 2007 - Total Visual CodeTools is fully supported under Access/Office 2007, and supports the new VBA syntax.
- Unused Variable Analysis - The new Unused Variable Analysis feature helps you detect and eliminate unnecessary code from your project. Not only does it make your code more compact, the analysis may highlight problems where you thought the code should be doing or tracking something that it is not.
- Code Builder Enhancements - Total Visual CodeTools 2007 includes various improvements that make the Code Builders more effective and easier to use, including:
- The New Procedure Builder has options to add comments and error handling.
- The New Property Builder offers options to include or exclude comments and error handling.
- The Long Text/SQL Builder includes options for word wrapping SQL text on AND/OR and JOIN syntax.
- The Recordset Builder has been completely redesigned to support Access 2007 ACCDBs; support Access database and project objects; support selecting the current and shared databases; support browse, add or edit recordsets; include options to use the field collections, and more.
- The Message Box Builder has an easier selection of icons, and a reorganized set of options for the return variable.
- The Select Case Builder lets you assign a variable for each case value, and automatically assign it a value with automatic incremental assignment for numbers.
- The Copy Control Code Builder includes a Generated Text section so you can preview the new code before adding it.
- The Format Builder is organized into tabs and allows you to add and save your own formats.
- Builders automatically generate new code as you change options.
- Coding Tool Enhancements -Total Visual CodeTools' Coding Tools have been improved with the following enhancements:
- The Macro Recorder captures control key combinations, including clipboard operations. You can also record keystrokes in one module and play them in another.
- Close Code Windows includes an option to close only code or object windows in Visual Basic.
- The Block Commenter includes options to put the block of code in IF FALSE blocks, and allows you to add your comment text and remove indentations.
- Code Cleanup and Delivery Enhancements - Total Visual CodeTools Code Cleanup and Delivery features are enhanced with the following new features:
- Support for the new Access/Office 2007 Syntax
- Improved viewing and searching of preview
- Messages, including alerts, are stored in an HTML report
- Option to permanently hide the initial warning screen (stored under Standards)
- Improved performance
- Improved Standards Section -Total Visual CodeTools has a revised Standards section with:
- More control offered to individual builders
- New error handing templates for forms/reports
- Ability to add new data types for naming conventions
- Consolidated Recordset Builder variables under naming conventions
- A New Microsoft Office Access 2007 User Interface - Total Visual CodeTools 2007 has a more modern user interface including support for Windows XP Themes, Windows Vista, and manifest files in VB 6.0.
Total Visual CodeTools provides a robust set of tools to help you in the day-to-day development of Visual Basic (VB) and Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) code. The main features of Total Visual CodeTools are:
- Code Cleanup: Modifies existing code to standardize visual style, indenting, error handling, commenting, naming conventions and more. Works according to the styles and conventions you define
- Code Builders: A set of code builders that create new code using simple point and click forms. All generated code adheres to the standards you define
- Code Delivery: Prepares your code base for distribution in non-compiled environments. For example, applications distributed with Microsoft Office applications are not compiled to EXE files, making it easy to break into source code. Code Delivery obfuscates and compacts code to make it run faster and more secure
- Coding Tools: A variety of tools to make writing code in the Visual Basic/Office 2000 IDE easier
- Enterprise Standards Management: Your organization's standards for error handling, commenting, variable naming conventions, and visual style can be centrally managed and enforced across your entire development group
- Code Cleanup is one of the most powerful features of Total Visual CodeTools. Code Cleanup standardizes the code in your project to your specifications. Add error handling to procedures that lack it, standardize code indentations, apply your variable naming convention, insert comment structures, sort procedures, and many other powerful features and more. The result is code that is more readable, robust, and maintainable
- Visual Style
Standardizing the visual appearance of the code is probably the single most important factor for code maintainability. Choosing this option tells Code Cleanup to do the following:
- Standardize Code Indentation to a specified width with automatic indentation for programming constructs such as IF..ELSE..ENDIF, DO..LOOP, WITH..END WITH, etc
- Split multiple lines on one line separated by colons into separate lines
- Split single line If statements into separate lines with a closing End If
- Split Dim statements for multiple variables on one line into separate lines
- Standardize number of blank lines between procedures
- Standardize maximum consecutive blank lines
Procedures can be inserted in any order in VB/VBA. This may be good, but it can also create a mess. Code Cleanup makes it easy to sort the procedures in your modules including property statements in class modules.
Add a standard module header to the top of each module such as a project name, creation dates, copyright notices, and ownership rights. A complete list of all procedure names and procedure definitions can also be added.
Add comment headers to each procedure. Although the program cannot determine what the code is actually doing and write the comments for you, it can take much of the drudgery out of the process of creating consistent comment headers for each procedure.
Inserts the specified property comment template into all the property procedures.
Error handling is one of the key attributes of robust applications. This feature inserts error handling code into your procedures that lack error handling, and allows you to specify separate error handling routines for regular modules vs. class modules. Error handling can also be added in a way to be automatically updated in the future.
Variable Naming Conventions
Rename your existing variables to conform to naming conventions based on the variable type (Integer, String, etc.). Every variable is given a prefix or suffix identifying its type with additional options for global and module level variables.
Insert "Option Explicit" into the declarations section of every module that lacks it. One of the cardinal rules of writing reliable and maintainable code is to explicitly declare all of your variables. By adding "Option Explicit" to your module, you are telling Access to require variable declaration.
Remove Line Numbers
Removes the line numbers in your code. This is useful if line numbers were added to your code (say with the Code Delivery feature), and you now want to remove it.
Total Visual CodeTools provides several useful builders for your day-to-day development efforts. These builders allow you to automate and simplify the following processes:
This builder allows you to quickly create new procedures that adhere to a set of standards that you define. It allows you to specify comment headers, error handling, indentation, naming conventions, and global procedure identifiers.
You can write property procedures in VBA that allow you to define properties of the objects you define in class modules. The process of creating such procedures can be difficult. You can use the Total Visual CodeTools Property builder to quickly build the property procedures necessary to implement a property in a class module.
Long Text/SQL Builder
Adding long SQL strings into a module and easily viewing it usually requires breaking it into a multi-line statement. The SQL Builder automates this by automatically converting a SQL string to a series of VBA lines that assign the string to a variable. Like SQL text, you may need to assign a long text string to a variable in your code. The Long Text Builder takes a string and automatically generates the multi-line code necessary to assign the text to a variable.
Message Box Builder
Message boxes are a common feature in VBA driven applications. Unfortunately, VBA does not provide tools for visually creating message boxes. Even experienced developers need to refer to the manual or help system to determine the values of icons and button options. The Message Box builder lets you visually create a message box statement or function.
Creating recordsets against a table or stored procedure is another of those routine tasks, which could be error prone. The SQL Builder generates code for you depending upon your chosen table object or stored procedure object.
Select Case Builder
Typing Select...Case statements can be a tedious process, especially when there are many conditions. The Select Case Builder allows you to quickly create such statements.
Code Delivery provides the tools for the final preparation of your code before distribution. Easily add line numbers to all of your code so you can take advantage of VB/VBA's ability to pinpoint the exact line where an error occurs. You can also obfuscate your code for situations where you need to distribute your source code, but are concerned about its misuse. Code Delivery provides the following code operations:
- Line Numbering adds line numbers to every line of code. With this, if your error handler uses the ERL function, it can detect the exact line where a crash occurs
- Variable Scrambling lets you rename all your variables, constants, user defined types, and enum to nonsense names that another user would have great difficulty deciphering. An option is available to not modify public variables
- Remove Comments removes all your comments. There is a way to not delete certain comments if they are tagged
- Remove Blank Lines removes all blank lines
- Remove Indentations makes your code flush left
- Remove Debug Statements removes this debugging code
- Remove Stop statements removes stop commands
- In addition to Builders, Cleanup and Deliver, Total Visual CodeTools 2000 offers additional tools to help your coding work
- Close Code Windows: This tool makes it easy clean your development environment of code windows
- Clear Immediate Window: This tool makes it simple to clear the content of the Immediate window
- Block Commenter: This utility provides a better option to comment your code
- VBE Color Schemes: A tool which helps to visually organize the appearance of your Visual Basic Editor